Sunday, September 8, 2013

Post by Martin!


      Hello- I am going to let Marty write the post this week- so you can hear about his first week at UMass! Also because I have had the most boring week ever searching for jobs. Without further ado, I present el Martino.

     Grad school is a little bit different pacing than being an undergraduate. This semester I'm taking Pedagogy of Theory, Bibliography, and a seminar on Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven. My homework is mostly just reading...a lot of reading. Again, a bit different type of homework for me, but I'm getting used to it.

     As a Graduate Teaching Assistant, I proctor freshman written theory. I attend their class on Monday and Wednesday, I teach two labs on Friday, and I grade their work. My first labs will be this upcoming Friday, and I'm really looking forward to teaching!
   
     Being up in the Northeast is pretty cool. We have been getting used to a no-car life right now. Bus and bike is our transportation at the moment. I love riding my bike any chance I get, even if I've been ordered by the warden to get groceries. The bus system is awesome. If we're lucky we get to ride the monster double buses that are connected by this accordion-like mechanism. Here's a picture of one of these magnificent vehicles:


     Hannah and I feel a bit lonely that we're the only Husker fans in a 50 mile radius (at least that's what it feels like). We do catch the games at a local brewing company. I'm pretty sure we get some stares by the people at the bar, since we take our football seriously.

     Lastly, what's most important is that I'm so thankful that my best friend is here with me. Hannah has been nothing but supportive. We're really hoping things turn around job wise and I can't believe that she put me in charge of this post.


      I leave you with this funny and cute video of some hamsters that Hannah took.




Martin




My posts are better

Johannah

1 comment:

  1. Love you guys! Sounds like you're doing great! And despite the job thing-you are connecting to people and I love how you have discovered the links to home (the dog lady) Keep updating-these are the best

    ReplyDelete